So I’m not big on all-american comfort foods (I prefer ethnic foods of all varieties) but every once in awhile a craving for chicken pot pie will strike me out of the blue. It hasn’t struck since I’ve been gluten-free (over 2 years now), until recently, and I refused to act on this craving until I found a GF recipe that I like.
As I recall from my youth, pot pie filling is simply: chicken, peas, carrots, and potatoes. But a lot of the recipes added and subtracted to/from this list, and left me feeling disappointed. I finally settled on this recipe:
Of course, with some modifications:
1. I used Pamelas gluten-free flour in place of all-purpose flour.
2. I did cut up/boil potatoes, but for veggies I used a succatash mix of peas/carrots/corn, so I did not cook the carrots with the potatoes. Also, I used extra peas.
3. I did not make two 9 inch pies per the recipe–I made one giant deep dish 12 inch pie.
4. I omitted the bottom/base crust and only did a top crust.
5. There was too much gravy and I only used 2/3 of what the recipe yielded for my pie.
6. I used organic low sodium vegetable broth instead of chicken broth (prefer the flavor).
First thing I did was make a batch of GF pie crust using bob’s red mill GF pie crust mix (butter *and* crisco, oh my!) This yielded THE best pie crust I’ve ever had. I used about 2/3 of what the recipe yielded to cover my giant pie, and I’m hoping the leftover is enough to make a small quiche, or maybe even some mini pot pies for lunch for the mommies in my playgroup this week.
Have to say–this chicken pot pie is magnificent! Worth the effort. I will definitely keep this in the rotation and whip it up when we need some TLC. Seriously, after I finished a big bowl of the warm, buttery, carb-y deliciousness, I actually did feel relaxed. I got a massage the day before and it wasn’t as relaxing as this pot pie! From now on I will save my $$$ and instead of spa treatments I will make GF chicken pot pie ❤
**I apologize for not including a picture but we hacked into it as soon as it came out of the oven. Use your imagination!